Sunday, May 17, 2009

Futures - A new direction

Where do I want to go? What do I want to do? What do I want to be when I grow up? This last question is particularly meaningful. I have been in the IT sector since the mid 70's. When I was younger, I had a passion and flair for twiddling the bits and bytes. I was a damn fine programmer in Unix and C.

Now I have reached a stage where I rarely get to program. I run teams of application developers. I am the old fart that demands tight requirements and design. I make you do a design defense and code review periodically. I am the guy that demands yes, no or schedule impact answers in staff meetings. I am the guy that has learned to be dead honest with you and expects / demands the same in return.  I am the guy that feels your eyes roll as I walk away.

Back to the question, what do I want to be when I grow up? Not what I just described. There is no passion in it. What the hell am I waiting for? It is past time to take control and make the life changes desired. That is a freaking scary sentence.

Twitter and some chance meetings have given me a new passion, a new hope. This web site and blog are the beginnings. I have so many things to do now, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. I have discovered a sense of naivete again. It is simultaneously frightening and exhilarating.

I have taken the first bite of the elephant, now to keep chewing. We will see where this goes.

No comments: